Monday, Feb 13, 2023
Head Coach Steve Fletcher named MAAC Men's Swimming and Diving Coach of the Year
by Rider Sports Information
The Rider University men's swimming and diving team completed its quest for an 11th-straight title at the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Championships on Feb. 11. The Broncs compiled 646.5 points to reclaim the trophy, nearly 50 points ahead of second-place Marist, who compiled at 599.
Head Coach Steve Fletcher was named MAAC Men's Swimming and Diving Coach of the Year, his 11th Coach of the Year honor. Qualifiers will advance to the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championships, beginning Feb. 24.
Some highlights include:
- Graduate student Kyle Iorizzo took fifth place in the 1,650-free with a time of 15:52.48.
- In the 200-back, senior Lucas Racevicius, junior Christian Overton and senior David Rucci swam three-four-five, stopping the clock at 1:46.96, 1:47.75 and 1:49.50, respectively.
- Graduate student Joe Gewartowski swam 45.80 and junior Alex Boeckx swam 46.06 in the 100-free to take sixth and a tie for seventh.
- Graduate student David Cooper was fourth with a time of 2:00.79 in the 200-breast.
- In the 200-fly, junior Bobby Irwin swam 1:50.44 to take fourth.
- The Broncs closed out the championship in the 400-free relay. Freshman Billy Ruddy, Racevicius, graduate student Jack Ruggieri and Gewartowski combined to touch the wall in 3:04.00 for fifth place.