Earn the New Student Engagement Experience Point
(Available to all Freshmen and first-year Transfer students only)
All first-year students should attend Rider events to earn this point!
- No matter which semester is your first, you have one full year to complete this experience. If you are a spring semester transfer, you have through the following fall to earn this point.
- You must submit the New Student Engagement Experience form in BroncNation while you are a first-year student. After your first year, you are no longer eligible to earn this point.
- Why should you worry about earning just one point? For most students, your Engaged Learning requirement is to earn points in at least two different Engaged Learning categories. This point, earned in the Civic and Community Engagement category, will help you meet the two-category requirement.
Attend six Rider events that you will place into the following themes. You can’t use more than two (2) events per theme, so be sure to attend a variety of different types of events.
- Sporting Event / Intramurals
- Examples: any Division I sports event; Club or Intramural Sports or Adventure Club
- Lecture / Workshop / Teach-In / Shared Read Event
- Example: workshops offered/required by the Student Navigation Office (SNO); Shared Read Book Club; Social Media Addiction lecture
- Art Performance
- Examples: Rider play or dance performance; poetry slam; a recital or opera performance; ArtBEAST
- Health, Wellness & Spirituality Event
- Examples: Strive to Thrive Workshop; Oct-SOBER-Fest; Meals on Wheels
- Diversity Event
- Example: Celebration of Lights; Martin Luther King Day of Service; Unity Day event
- Campus Tradition Event
- Example: Cranberry Fest; Family Weekend; R Factor; Scream Screen
The events listed above are examples. It is possible to use an event in a theme other than where it is shown above. For example, Celebration of Lights is an example under the Diversity theme, but it may also be considered a Campus Tradition. Whichever theme you place an event under, be sure to support that choice when you write your reflection in the BroncNation form.
Keep track of the events you attend on a Tracking Form
Use the event tracking form below to record information about the events you attend. The form provides a way to keep track of the event details that you will need. It also provides a way for you to write a couple of thoughts about the event that will be useful when you write your reflection. Download the form to your computer and enter information as you attend events.
New Student Engagement Experience Event Tracking Form (PDF)
What to do after attending six events?
Log in to BroncNation using your Rider Key. Click the circle with your initial or photo which will open a right-side menu. From the menu, select Experiences.
On the My Experiences page, click “Add Experience” to open a list of experience forms. Find and select CCE: New Student Engagement Experience.
Tip: To find an experience form quickly while on the list of experience forms page, open a search feature by clicking the Ctrl/F keys together. In the search box, enter a keyword (for example, the word New) to be shown the forms that may be the one you are looking for.
Prompts are provided to help you complete the form fields. Follow the example shown to list all six events you have attended in the Descriptions box. Write a thoughtful reflection, speaking about each event individually. When you have completed the form, click Submit. Next, the staff member you indicated in the form will be asked to review your submission.
Your reflection must respond to the four Reflection Questions found in the rubric on the Reflections web page. If you do not answer the four questions sufficiently, the staff reviewer will return the form to you, providing instruction on how to improve it. You should quickly update your reflection in BroncNation and resubmit it for another review. If your experience is continually denied even after you have changed it, you may appeal it with your academic dean’s office.
After your experience is approved, during the next week the Engaged Learning Coordinator will notify the Registrar that you have earned one point for this experience. The Registrar will enter your earned point into DegreeWorks and it will also be recorded on your Engaged Learning Transcript. NOTE: It takes time before the points get applied to your record, so be sure to submit the experience form in BroncNation as soon as you have completed attending 6 events.
To Learn More
For information or assistance with Engaged Learning contact Sandra Ober, Engaged Learning Coordinator, at (609)-896-5000 (Ext. 7055) or [email protected].